The AAO Users' Committee came into being on 1 January 2000, combining and extending the functions of the Advisory Committee for Instrumentation on the AAT, ACIAAT, and the policy role of the Schmidt Telescope Panel, STP. The terms of reference are listed below. The committee comprises six external users, normally four from Australia, and two international representatives. Members of the AAOUC will be nominated by the Director. The current membership is:
||End of term|
|Stephen Marsden (Chair)
|Elizabeth Wylie de Boer
Next MeetingThe AAO users' committee meets in person once a year at Epping in July, with a teleconference held every February. The next meeting of this committee scheduled for 18-19 July 2013. However, the Director will consult with the AAOUC throughout the year on matters requiring timely input. To solicit the community's views, they AAOUC Chair will post appropriate material on this WWW page.
The AAOUC seeks the comments of the AAO user community on the following issues. Please send your comments to the AAOUC Chair.
AAOUC Terms of Reference
- To provide advice to the Director on operational and development issues relating to the facilities provided by the Australian Astronomical Observatory. These include the Anglo-Australian Telescope, the UK Schmidt Telescope, the Gemini and Magellan telescopes, the Giant Magellan Telescope, and all aspects of support provided by the AAO.
- To make recommendations to the Director seeking to maximise the scientific productivity and to maintain the international competitiveness of the Observatory, taking into account the likely resource availability.
- To consult widely with the community, liaising where necessary with the Australian Time Assignment Committee (ATAC), to establish priorities for both operational and instrumentation initiatives.
- To interface with instrument design review panels, commenting on any issues arising from these reviews that impact on the delivery of key user science requirements.
- To provide an annual written report through the Director for submission to the AAO Advisory Committee.
Documentation from recent meetings
Documentation for the July 2012 Meeting
Documentation from the February 2012 Teleconference
Documentation for the July 2011 Meeting
AAO Client Service Charter