The role of the AAOAC will be:
- monitoring and providing advice to the Secretary and the Director on the quality and status of the AAO research facilities and supporting infrastructure and delivery of services to the astronomy community, including identification of emerging issues.
- providing strategic advice to the Secretary and the Director on the overall scientific direction of the AAO, including identification of emerging scientific opportunities and appropriate future research roles for the AAO, in the national and international context.
- in consultation with the Director, developing and reviewing periodically a set of performance indicators for the AAO, to be approved by the Secretary. These indicators should encompass, but not be limited to, the areas of telescope operations, research, instrumentation, the use of AAO resources and external communications.
- in consultation with the Director, developing and reviewing periodically an AAO Client Service Charter, to be approved by the Secretary.
- where requested by the Secretary, providing advice to the Secretary and the Director on the prioritisation and use of available AAO funding and resources in the maintenance and upgrading of AAO facilities, the performance of AAO research functions and collaborations, or the provision of improved services to AAO users.
- providing advice to the Director on Terms of Reference and appointments to the Australian Time Assignment Committee, AAO Users’ Committee and any other sub-committees the Director may wish to establish.
- maintaining a high level of engagement with the Australian astronomy community and reflecting the community’s views in providing its advice to the Secretary on all of the above matters.
- Research Staff
- AAO Advisory Committee
- AAO Users' Committee
- AAO Observer
- Plans and Policies
- AAO Diversity Committee
- AAO IT Services