A wide selection of broad-band and narrow-band filters is available, and can be shared between AAO instruments.
All detectors are now operated with the AAO-2 controllers. The MITLL3 and EEV2 CCD pages give details on the performance of these detectors with UCLES and UHRF with the old controllers. See the CCD Performance with the AAO-2 Controllers page for latest details on performance of the EEV2 and MITLL3 detectors on UCLES/UHRF.
Current AAT Instruments
- AAOmega fibre-fed optical spectrograph, fed by either:
- HERMES - fibre-fed high-resolution spectrograph, fed by the 2 Degree Field (2dF) robotic fibre positioner covering a 2 degree field at prime focus with 392 fibres. HERMES commissioning is planned to start in October 2013.
- IRIS2 - 1.0-2.5 micron infrared imager and longslit/multi-slit spectrograph covering a 7.7' x 7.7' field.
- University College London Echelle Spectrograph (UCLES) - cross-dispersed echelle spectrograph with resolution R = 40,000 - 120,000. Can also be used with the CYCLOPS2 fibre-feed with the 79 l/mm echelle.
- Ultra High Resolution Facility (UHRF) - echelle spectrograph with R = 300,000, 600,000, or 940,000.
- Visitor Instruments may be used on the AAT with permission from the Director. Please see these pages for more information.
Decommissioned AAT Instruments and Detectors
The following instruments are no longer available for use at the AAT. Links to the instrument documentation are maintained to assist with the reduction of archive data.
- 2 Degree Field Spectrograph (2dF) (now superseded by AAOmega)
- Auxiliary CCD Camera
- Diffraction gratings - formerly used with RGO spectrograph, SPIRAL, 2dF, and 6dF.
- Faint Object Red Spectrograph (FORS)
- Infra Red Imager Spectrograph (IRIS)
- Low Dispersion Survey Spectrograph (LDSS++)
- MITLL2 and MITLL2A CCD
- Prime Focus Camera (PFC)
- Royal Greenwich Observatory Spectrograph (RGO)
- SPIRAL spectrograph (now integrated into AAOmega)
- Taurus II including:
- Tektronix 1K CCD
- Wide Field Imager (WFI)