On-line Documents - The Current ones
The following list is of current AAT instruments and their
main documentation pages. In many cases additional information, links
to signal-to-noise calculators, and up-to-date status reports, can also
be found via the AAT and UKST
- AAOmega - regularly updated WWW pages for AAOmega, used with 2dF and SPIRAL.
- IRIS2 - regularly updated WWW pages for the near-infrared imager and spectrograph IRIS2.
- UCLES/UHRF - Third edition (online) of the UCLES and UHRF manuals, as well as the regularly updated "cookbooks" for UCLES and for UHRF.
On-line Documents - The Less Up-to-date but Still Useful ones
- 6dF on the UKST
- EEV and MITLL3 - large format CCD detectors, now operated with the AAO-2 controllers.
- UCLES ThAr arc atlas for large format detectors.
On-line Documents - The Obsolete Ones
- The RGO Spectrograph Manual
- The WFI / PFU Manual
- The Taurus Tunable Filter pages
- The LDSS++ pages
- The MITLL2 and MITLL2A pages.
- Keith Taylor's Taurus II manual.
- The FLAIR Users Guide Part 1 - An online version of UM31.1.
- FLAIR Data Reduction with IRAF - This document is available both on-line, and as a Postscript file.
- The IRIS Manuals - The IRIS instrument allowed imaging,
spectroscopy, imaging-polariometry and spectro-polarimetry from 1.0 to
2.5 microns. An infrared Fabry-Perot, known as UNSWIRF,
was supplied by the University of New South Wales. The
following manuals for IRIS are available:
- The IRIS User's Guide - A guide to using IRIS at the telescope and preparing for your observing run. This document was originally distributed as a text file, and has been converted into HTML.
- The IRIS Reduction Guide - a guide to reducing IRIS data, with instructions on how to use some of the Figaro code written at the AAO specifically for IRIS.
- Photography with the AAT - An online version of David Malin's 1989 manual.
- An RGO CuAr Arc Atlas with the 600 line grating - A gzip'd Postscript document (135Kb), with an associated Figaro arc file, which should enable users of the 300, 600 and 1200 line gratings on the RGO Spectrograph 25cm camera to identify their internal arc spectra.
- The AAT f/1 Imaging System - An on-line document for CCD imaging with the f/1 camera and Thomson CCD, some of it later incorporated into:
- The AAO CCD Imaging Manual - An on-line document for CCD imaging observers at the AAT back when we only had 1K TEK and Thomson detectors available.
- The AAO
Observers' Guide used to be your
first source for information on the AAT and its instruments. It
contains brief descriptions and sensitivity estimates for all the AAT's
instruments; information on when, how and where to submit proposals;
as well as information on travel to Australia and the AAT. Most of this
has been superseded by more modern WWW pages. But there is still some
historically useful information in there.
The Fifth (1996) Edition is only available on-line via the WWW. Although some of the figures have had to be scanned and are not of great quality, they all still pass on the requisite information. Moreover, most of the important instruments have had their sensitivity estimates upgraded to reflect our current (rather than 10 year old!) detectors. The Fifth Edition also contains hyper-links to the appropriate manuals for more detailed information where available.