|I am the Head of Research and Outreach at the Australian Astronomical Observatory. My research focuses on galaxy evolution, using multiwavelength data to explore how galaxy morphologies develop and evolve, and the role of star formation and galaxy environment.|
Some current research projects:
And some older research projects:
|The Phoenix Deep Survey|
Some more about me:
I grew up in country New South Wales, and completed my undergraduate science degree and PhD at the University of Sydney. I took up a postdoctoral position at the University of Pittsburgh in 1999, during which I was awarded a Hubble Fellowship by the Space Telescope Science Institute. After spending six years living in Pittsburgh, I returned to the University of Sydney in 2005 to take up an ARC Queen Elizabeth II Fellowship in the School of Physics. In 2008 I moved to the Anglo-Australian Observatory (now the Australian Astronomical Observatory) as the Head of AAT Science, and now as Head of Research and Outreach. In addition to my research, I have a passion for communicating science to school students and the general public. In 2006 I was awarded a Young Tall Poppy of the Year award by the Australian Institute of Policy and Science, giving me the opportunity to present my research to secondary schools around the state. I am also an active participant of several other science outreach programs, including Scientists in Schools and MyScience, all aimed at increasing awareness of and interest in science in primary and secondary students.
List of preprints from astro-ph.
I sponsor an annual award for Excellence in Science at Wingham High School.
- "Galaxy And Mass Assembly (GAMA): The star formation rate dependence of the stellar initial mass function," M. L. P. Gunawardhana, A. M. Hopkins, et al,, MNRAS, 415, 1647 (2011).
- "Galaxy and Mass Assembly (GAMA): survey diagnostics and core data release," S. P. Driver, et al,, MNRAS, 413, 971, (2011).
- "Galaxy and mass assembly (GAMA): dust obscuration in galaxies and their recent star formation histories," D. B. Wijesinghe, A. M. Hopkins, et al, MNRAS, 410, 2291, (2011).
- "The Radio-FIR Correlation in the Milky Way," J. Zhang, A. Hopkins, P. J. Barnes, M. Cagnes, Y. Yonekura, Y. Fukui, PASA, 27, 340, (2010).
- "Determining the escape fraction of ionizing photons during reionization with the GRB-derived star formation rate," J. S. B. Wyithe, A. M. Hopkins, M D. Kistler, H. Yuksel, J. F. Beacom, MNRAS, 401, 2561, (2010).
- "The Star Formation Rate in the Reionization Era as Indicated by Gamma-Ray Bursts," M. D. Kistler, H. Yuksel, J. F. Beacom, A. M. Hopkins, J. S. B. Wyithe ApJL, 705, L104, (2009).
- "Linked Evolution of Gas and Star Formation in Galaxies Over Cosmic History," A. M. Hopkins, N. M. McClure-Griffiths, B. M. Gaensler ApJL, 682, L13, (2008).
- "The evolution of stellar mass and the implied star formation history," S. M. Wilkins, N. Trentham, A. M. Hopkins MNRAS, 385, 687, (2008).
- "On the Normalization of the Cosmic Star Formation History," A. M. Hopkins, J. F. Beacom ApJ, 651, 142, (2006).
- "The Star Formation History of Damped Lyman Alpha Absorbers," A. M. Hopkins, S. M. Rao, D. A. Turnshek ApJ, 630, 108, (2005).
- "On the Evolution of Star-forming Galaxies," A. M. Hopkins ApJ, 615, 209, (2004).
- "Star Formation Rate Indicators in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey," A. M. Hopkins, C. J. Miller, R. C. Nichol, A. J. Connolly, M. Bernardi, P. L. Gomez, T. Goto, C. A. Tremonti, J. Brinkmann, Z. Ivezic, and D. Q. Lamb, ApJ, 599, 971, (2003).
- "The Phoenix Deep Survey: The 1.4 GHz Microjansky Catalog," A. M. Hopkins, J. Afonso, B. Chan, L. E. Cram, A. Georgakakis, B. Mobasher, AJ, 125, 465, (2003).
- "Star Formation Rates of Local Blue Compact Dwarf Galaxies. I. 1.4 GHz and 60 micron Luminosities," A. M. Hopkins, R. E. Schulte-Ladbeck, I. O. Drozdovsky, AJ, 124, 862, (2002).
- "Global Star Formation History: A Local Group Perspective," A. M. Hopkins, M. J. Irwin, A. J. Connolly, ApJ, 558, L31, (2001).
- "Toward a resolution of the discrepancy between different estimators of star formation rate," A. M. Hopkins, A. J. Connolly, D. B. Haarsma, L. E. Cram, AJ, 122, 288, (2001).
- "Star Formation in Galaxies between Redshifts of 0.7 and 1.8," A. M. Hopkins, A. J. Connolly, A. S. Szalay, AJ, 120, 2843, (2000).
- "What Will the Next Generation Radio Telescope Detect at 1.4 GHz?," A. M. Hopkins, R. Windhorst, L. Cram, R. Ekers, ExA, 10, 419, (2000).
- "Microjansky Radio Sources in DC 0107-46 (Abell 2877)," A. M. Hopkins, A. Georgakakis, L. Cram, J. Afonso, B. Mobasher, ApJS, 128, 469, (2000).
- "Microjansky Sources at 1.4 GHz," A. M. Hopkins, J. Afonso, L. Cram, B. Mobasher, ApJ, 519, L59, (1999).
- "The PHOENIX Deep Survey: 1.4-GHz source counts," A. M. Hopkins, B. Mobasher, L. Cram, M. Rowan-Robinson, MNRAS, 296, 839, (1998).
Prof. Andrew Hopkins, Head of Research and Outreach
Australian Astronomical Observatory
P.O. Box 915, North Ryde
NSW 1670, Australia
ph: +61 2 9372 4849 fax: +61 2 9372 4880
Last updated: 2015-03-18