2017B AAT Schedule

Australian Astronomical Observatory Telescope Schedule

Semester 2017B — Version 1.3
Valid from 2017 December 30

Schedule information may be obtained from here

Program, Observers (Long Program) Instrument Support
Tue August 1 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) 2dF + HERMES N, (GDS)
Wed 2 B R,T " " "
Thu 3 B R,T " " "
Fri 4 B R,T " " "
Sat 5 B R,T " " "
Sun 6 B R,T " " "
Mon 7 B 17B/12 Cotton Visitor(HIPPI) N, (CL)
Tue 8 B " " "
Wed 9 B " " "
Thu 10 B " " "
Fri 11 B " " "
Sat 12 B " " "
Sun 13 B 17B/09 Bailey " "
Mon 14 G " " "
Tue 15 G " " "
Wed 16 G " " "
Thu 17 D " " "
Fri 18 D " " "
Sat 19 D " " "
Sun 20 D " " "
Mon 21 D R,H,T Director: 2dF (1st 40% of night) + 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) (remaining 60% of night) 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+385R S+N, CL
Tue 22 D R,H,T Service: AAOmega (1st 40% of night) + 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) (remaining 60% of night) " "
Wed 23 D R,H,T " " "
Thu 24 D R,H,T " " "
Fri 25 D R,H,T " " "
Sat 26 G R,H,T " " "
Sun 27 G R,H,T " " "
Mon 28 G R,T 17B/24 De Silva 2dF + HERMES A, GDS
Tue 29 G R,T " " "
Wed 30 B R,T " " "
Thu 31 B R Director: Dragonfly Dragonfly N, (JL)
Fri September 1 B R " " "
Sat 2 B R " " "
Sun 3 B R " " "
Mon 4 B R,H,T Director: 2dF (1st half) + 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) (2nd half) 2dF + HERMES S+N, JS + (GDS)
Tue 5 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) " N, (GDS)
Wed 6 B R,T " " "
Thu 7 B R,T " " "
Fri 8 B R,T " " "
Sat 9 B R,T " " "
Sun 10 B R,T " " "
Mon 11 B R,T " " "
Tue 12 G R,T 17B/24 De Silva " A, GDS
Wed 13 G R,T Director: AAO Staff 2dF + AAOmega A, CL
Thu 14 G 16B/16 Croom (SAMI) SAMI + AAOmega: 580V+1000R N, (JB)
Fri 15 D " " "
Sat 16 D " " "
Sun 17 D " " "
Mon 18 D " " "
Tue 19 D " " "
Wed 20 D " " "
Thu 21 D " " "
Fri 22 D " " "
Sat 23 D " " "
Sun 24 D " " "
Mon 25 G " " "
Tue 26 G Director: 16B/16 Croom (SAMI) " "
Wed 27 G R,H,T Director: 2dF (1st 20% of night) + 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) (remaining 80% of night) 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+385R S+N, CL
Thu 28 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) 2dF + HERMES N, (GDS)
Fri 29 B R,T " " "
Sat 30 B R,T " " "
Sun October 1 B R,T " " "
Mon 2 B R,T " " "
Tue 3 B R,T " " "
Wed 4 B R,T Service: HERMES " S, TZ
Thu 5 B R,H 17B/23 Wright (1st half) + 17B/02 Payne (2nd half) CYCLOPS2 A+Y, DW
Fri 6 B R 17B/23 Wright " A, (DW)
Sat 7 B R " " "
Sun 8 B R " " "
Mon 9 B R " " "
Tue 10 B R,H 17B/23 Wright (1st half) + 17B/02 Payne (2nd half) " A+Y, DW
Wed 11 G R,T 17B/17 McDermid KOALA + AAOmega: 580V+385R Y, ALS
Thu 12 G R,T " " "
Fri 13 G R,T Service: KOALA KOALA + AAOmega S, ALS
Sat 14 D R,T 17B/21 Lopez-Sanchez KOALA + AAOmega: 580V+1000R A, ALS
Sun 15 D R,T Director: KOALA KOALA + AAOmega N,
Mon 16 D R,T " " "
Tue 17 D R,H,T Director: 2dF (1st half) + 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) (2nd half) 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+385R S+N, CL
Wed 18 D R,T 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) " N, (CL)
Thu 19 D R,T " " "
Fri 20 D R,T " " "
Sat 21 D R,T " " "
Sun 22 D R,T " " "
Mon 23 D R,T " " "
Tue 24 G R,T 17B/06 Maddox " Y, TZ
Wed 25 G R,T " " "
Thu 26 G R,T " " "
Fri 27 B R,T 17B/24 De Silva 2dF + HERMES A, GDS
Sat 28 B R,T " " "
Sun 29 B R,T " " "
Mon 30 B R,T " " "
Tue 31 B R,T " " "
Wed November 1 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) " N, (GDS)
Thu 2 B R,T " " "
Fri 3 B R,T " " "
Sat 4 B R,T " " "
Sun 5 B R,T " " "
Mon 6 B R,T " " "
Tue 7 B R,T 17B/104 Burdanov IRIS2 F, DW
Wed 8 B R,T " " "
Thu 9 G R,T " " "
Fri 10 G R,T " " "
Sat 11 G R,T " " "
Sun 12 D R,T Service: IRIS2 " S, CL
Mon 13 D R,O OPTICON 41 " N, (CL)
Tue 14 D R,O " " "
Wed 15 D R,O " " "
Thu 16 D R,H,T Director: 2dF (1st half) + 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) (2nd half) 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+385R S+N, CL
Fri 17 D R,T 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) " N, (CL)
Sat 18 D R,T " " "
Sun 19 D R,T " " "
Mon 20 D R,T " " "
Tue 21 D R NOAO 0331 " Y, TZ
Wed 22 D R " " "
Thu 23 G R " " "
Fri 24 G R " " "
Sat 25 G R " " "
Sun 26 B R,T Service: HERMES 2dF + HERMES S, JS
Mon 27 B Director: PRAXIS PRAXIS N, (JL)
Tue 28 B " " "
Wed 29 B " " "
Thu 30 B " " "
Fri December 1 B R,H 17B/23 Wright (1st half) + 17B/02 Payne (2nd half) CYCLOPS2 A+Y, DW
Sat 2 B R 17B/23 Wright " A, (DW)
Sun 3 B R " " "
Mon 4 B R,H 17B/23 Wright (1st half) + 17B/02 Payne (2nd half) " A+Y, DW
Tue 5 B R,H,T Director: 2dF (1st half) + 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) (2nd half) 2dF + HERMES S+N, DBZ + (GDS)
Wed 6 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) " N, (GDS)
Thu 7 B R,T " " "
Fri 8 B R,T " " "
Sat 9 G R,T 17B/18 Emptage 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+1700D Y, LS
Sun 10 G R,T " " "
Mon 11 G R,T " " "
Tue 12 G R,T 17B/03 Mackey 2dF + AAOmega: 1500V+1700D "
Wed 13 D R,T " " Y, JS
Thu 14 D R,T " " "
Fri 15 D R,T " " "
Sat 16 D R,T " " "
Sun 17 D R,T " " "
Mon 18 D R,H,T 13B/12 Lidman (OzDES) (1st half) + 17B/11 Davies (DEVILS) (2nd half) 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+385R N, (CL) + (MO)
Tue 19 D R,H,T " " "
Wed 20 D R,H,T " " "
Thu 21 D R,H,T " " "
Fri 22 D R,H,T " " "
Sat 23 G R,H,T " " "
Sun 24 G R,H,T " " "
Mon 25 G R,H,T " " "
Tue 26 G R,T 17B/11 Davies (DEVILS) " N, (MO)
Wed 27 B R,T 17B/16 Sharma 2dF + HERMES Y, JS
Thu 28 B R,T " " "
Fri 29 B R,T " " "
Sat 30 B R,T " " "
Sun 31 B R,T " " "
Mon January 1 B R,T " " Y, GDS
Tue 2 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) " N, (GDS)
Wed 3 B R,T " " "
Thu 4 B R,H 17B/10 Spina (1st half) + 17B/02 Payne (2nd half) CYCLOPS2 Y, CL
Fri 5 B R 17B/10 Spina " "
Sat 6 B R " " Y, AWG
Sun 7 B R,H 17B/10 Spina (1st half) + 17B/02 Payne (2nd half) " "
Mon 8 G R,T Director: 2dF (1st half) + Service: AAOmega (2nd half) 2dF + AAOmega S, DBZ
Tue 9 G R,T 17B/11 Davies (DEVILS) 2dF + AAOmega: 580V+385R N, (MO)
Wed 10 G R,T " " "
Thu 11 G R,T " " "
Fri 12 D R,T " " "
Sat 13 D R,T " " "
Sun 14 D R,T " " "
Mon 15 D R,T " " "
Tue 16 D R,T " " "
Wed 17 D R,T " " "
Thu 18 D R,T " " "
Fri 19 D R,T " " "
Sat 20 D R,T " " "
Sun 21 D R,T " " "
Mon 22 D R,T " " "
Tue 23 G R,T Director: AAO Staff 2dF + AAOmega A, GDS + (JS)
Wed 24 G R,T 17B/24 De Silva 2dF + HERMES A, GDS
Thu 25 G R,T " " "
Fri 26 G R,T " " "
Sat 27 B R,T " " "
Sun 28 B R,T Director: 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) " N, (GDS)
Mon 29 B R,T 17A/18 Martell (GALAH) " "
Tue 30 B R,T " " "
Wed 31 B R,T " " "
 
Notes:
 
Dates
  • Red-shaded days are weekends or New South Wales public holidays. For 2017B, the public holidays will be 2 October (Labour Day), 25 December (Christmas Day), 26 December (Boxing Day), 1 January (New Years Day), and 26 January (Australia Day).
  • Bright (B), grey (G) and dark (D) nights are colour coded with yellow, green, and blue respectively.
Support codes (see also http://www.aao.gov.au/science/observing/support-astronomer-guidelines )
F First night support will be provided.
N No support will be provided at the telescope. The contact astronomer is listed.
Y Full support will be provided.
S Service mode or Director's time observations which will be carried out by AAO astronomers.
A An AAO astronomer is on the proposal and will provide their own support.
Conditions/notes:
H Half night, change halfway between 18-degree twilights, except for: (1) 22-27 August when the change will occur after 40 per cent of the night; (2) 27 September when the change will occur after 20 per cent of the night.
T AAOmega, HERMES, IRIS2 or KOALA available for Target of Opportunity override. ToO Override Policy applies.
O OPTICON allocation
R Observations can be conducted from the AAT or remotely from AAO North Ryde headquarters. Observers should discuss this with their scheduled support astronomer well in advance their observing run. More information on remote observing.
Support:
  • The initials indicate which member of AAO staff is assigned to support each program.
  • If the astronomer's name appears in parentheses then it is not expected the astronomer will be present at the telescope. However, the astronomer will be responsible for any other support required.
  • If two names are given (e.g., "JS + (GDS)"), the first astronomer will provide support for the first half of the night, and the second astronomer for the second half of the night.
  • Support astronomers may be contacted at email@aao.gov.au, where email usernames are given in the following table:
  Initials e-mail Name  
  JB julia.bryant Julia Bryant  
  GDS gayandhi.desilva Gayandhi de Silva  
  JL jon.lawrence Jon Lawrence  
  CL chris.lidman Chris Lidman  
  ALS angel.lopez-sanchez Angel Lopez-Sanchez  
  MO matt.owers Matt Owers  
  JS jeffrey.simpson Jeffrey Simpson  
  LS lee.spitler Lee Spitler  
  DW duncan.wright Duncan Wright  
  TZ tayyaba.zafar Tayyaba Zafar  
  DBZ daniel.zucker Dan Zucker  
         
 
Service & 2dF+AAOmega Observing:
 
All programs are required to send at least one, and not more than two, observers for their 2dF+AAOmega runs. PIs should inform the AAO through the usual travel channels of the proposed observers well in advance of their runs.