- Australian TAC
- Service Observing
- Observing Resources
- Remote Observing
- After the run
- AAO IT Services
- International Telescopes Support Office
- ASVO-AAT node
Travel, Accomodation and Remote Observing
Please inform us of your observing plans at least three weeks before your next observing run using the Visitor Form (Lens account required). Please fill out this form if you plan to do the observations
- remotely from North Ryde,
- remotely from one of the other remote observing sites, or
- from the Telescope
The new lodge will become available to astronomers on April 11th. If you are observing from site on or after April 11th, then please do not fill out the visitor form at this stage. We'll be updating it soon.
In the event of a Catastrophic Fire Danger, the site will be closed and all will be evacuated. In such circumstance, and in cases where there is a bushfire within 50 Km of the site and the fire danger rating is severe or extreme, you will be asked to evacuate the site and head to the evacuation site in Coonabarabran. The evacuation point in Coonabarabran is the Coonabarabran Bowling Club located at 79 Edwards Street (near the Shell service station). Please advise relevant site staff that you have evacuated the site. Additional information can be found in the business recovery document located in the cottages on Site.
Just returned from an AAO observing run? Australian-based observers may claim Travel and Accommodation support from the AAO.
European-based observers who qualify for support from OPTICON should submit their claims directly to the Access Office.
For further information on travelling to the Australian Astronomical Observatory, please read the following pages:
1. Visa Requirements
2. Time and Temperature
3. Accommodation in Sydney. Please note observers are to arrange their own Sydney accommodation.
4. Getting to the Sydney Office
5. Travel between Sydney and Coonabarabran by air, car or train
6. Arriving at Siding Spring Mountain and accommodation
7. Essential - read the ICT Conditions of Use for Visitors Policy